Thursday 7 November 2013

What the Hail?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvJ9FTgZbM


The type of advertisement I chose to look at was a movie trailer. Movie trailers are really easy to discuss based on who they are intended to and how easy they can attract their audiences. The movie trailer I chose was Thor: The Dark World. It is the sequel to the first Thor and is about the god Thor needing the help of his brother Loki to defend his city from the villains.  This movie is targeted at teen agers, smaller kids, or older people. Movies, for the most part made for just about anybody. Of course, there are those movies for people who are above a certain age but if those movies were created more the movie industry would lose a lot of money because of the people they are missing who are under the age of 18.

This trailer hails me by showing the man hero as a god, someone who cannot die and is super strong. It also uses a great story line to keep me interested and to not allow me just to see all action for the whole movie. The action in the movie does pull me in because I love to watch fight scenes and watch things explode and watching all the effects that are put into these movies. “The media work as a hailing, interpellating system. The way they address us (their modes of address), constantly interpellates us – as family, as citizens, as children, and so on.” (O’ Shaugnessy, Stadler, 186, 2013)This quote is saying that any form of media advertisement is changing who we are and what we like and dislike. I believe this to be true because as younger kids we were into TV shows and movies that were done by Disney or were a lot more cartoonish. As we grow older we experience more violence in video games and movies, also are brains start to develop more and we are able to comprehend a story line. So, like myself, growing up with seeing these different aspects and ways to create movies has changed my way of thinking and has changed what movies really excite me.

I still love to watch cartoon movies like Monster’s Inc., Oliver and Company or the Arista Cats because they are from my childhood and are favourite movies. Nowadays though the movies I really tend to watch have changed to the more violent or horror type movies because the cartoon/Disney movies have become terrible. “We live in a culture that stresses individuality, encourages us to believe that every person has unique qualities…questionable.” (O’ Shaugnessy, Stadler, 189, 2013) We are all individuals and have our own ways to look at different types of media, but it feels like with movies we are all similar. A movie like Paranormal Activity or Thor have their distinct genres, and the people that watch these movies like the distinct genres and are comfortable and enjoy what goes on in these movies. The quote says that everyone has unique qualities and this is true, but I feel like when it comes to movies people have a lot more in common with others. If you like love stories where there is little to no action movies like Django or Thor or Iron Man are not suitable choices and same goes the other if you are looking for action.


I know these movie trailers are very successful in representing my norms and values and draw my attention because if they didn’t I wouldn’t end up at the movies theatres watching them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment